Monday 1 April 2013

Rice Balls with Spring Onions and Smoked Salmon

On our current part of our virtual food journey for Bloggers Around the World I asked everyone to do something Japanese, or with typical Japanese ingredients, or ... whatever, let's go on with it.
I hope you are all busy ... brains working what to do ... or already cooking or baking ... or even writing up something. Whatever you do: Have fun!
I was thinking and looking around, too. So I came up with some rice balls with a spring onion an smoked salmon filling.


All we need is cooked rice, smoked salmon, spring onions, some sesame seeds and a bit of ginger, if you like. No big fuss about it! Pure and simple!
A good thing, that I have a rice cooker. So I simply put in three cups of rice with sufficient water and let it do it's job, while I relax and do something else.


Oh, the rice is already done. No worries! The cooker will keep it warm. So I head over into the kitchen and cut the smoked salmon and the spring onions in a very relaxed way. Here goes a bit of ginger in it.
In fact the rice could be a little to hot. So I better turn the cooker off and open it a bit before I proceed. 
With wet fingers I take a handful of the rice and form it into a ball. Then I make a hole into it to squeeze in one or two teaspoons of the spring onion and smoked onion mixture. I just need to make sure the rice closes around the filling.


To serve them I sprinkle a few roasted sesame seeds on them. That's it!
You can have them anytime. I even had some for breakfast. Above that, I reckon, you can also go for a different filling, like maybe a total veg version. What about cucumber or zucchini or ... you will get ideas.
If you have the feeling, you might need some kind of sauce with the balls, why not mix some wasabi and soy sauce together, and there you go.


So far for my contribution to the current Bloggers Around the World. I never have been to Japan, but I suppose it would be very interesting. However, you can't have everything or go everywhere.


Now it's still up to you. There are still 12 days left to do something Japanese for Bloggers Around the World. I'll be waiting on you ...

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea Chris. A kind of alternative sushi. I am bookmarking this recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to say I made these tonight Chris. I added a little rice vinegar and sugar to the rice water. Delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

      Delete
    2. It feels good to hear that. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You even made it more sticky.

      Delete
  2. I've made some Jap cakes, something I remembered eating as a child - I think they are based on a Japanese meringue which I assume is where the name came from! http://www.carolinemakes.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Jap%20cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a look. They seem to be luvly! Thank you for staying with us on our journey (I only have to keep in mind, you commented here and not on the main post ... ah ... I should manage.)

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.