Monday 7 October 2013

Cake au salami avec pignon et prunes

It is over when it is over. Therefore I have the honour to tell you, it isn't. I still got some plum deals for you. As I told you before, I checked some of my cookbooks for inspiration and nearly missed this one ...


It's from the book The little Paris kitchen by Rachel Khoo. I tried to do a similar setup for the picture as was in the book, but I didn't dare to take the photo outside in the garden on the lawn, because it was too cold for my taste at that time. I suppose that won't improve for a while.
Now to the recipe. I had to do a few adjustments, since I didn't have French smoked sausages and pistachios. Let's see ...

The oven needs to be heated to 180 °C. Get a 25 cm rectangular cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
Now to mixing the batter. We need two bowls. In one bowl you mix 250 g flour, 1 tbs baking powder, 150 g salami cut into smallish pieces, 30 g (or more) pine nuts and 100 g plums cut into smallish pieces as well. Be nice and mix it thoroughly.
The other bowl. Whip four eggs into it. Add 100 ml milk, 150 ml olive oil and 50 g yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper and mix that lot well ... as well.
Now it's time to get the egg mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Do it bit by bit and ... carefully so as not to release the gluten as I learnt from Rachel's book. You don't want too much gluten in cakes.
Enough talking, get the cake batter into the tin and then the tin into the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the cake is ready. Check that with a wooden stick. As long as you get batter on the stick when inserting it into the cake, it isn't ready yet. Of course, you knew that already.


The cake is ready. Let it cool down and enjoy it later on with some salad. That would be very lovely. I put mine into the fridge and after having a few pieces ... almost forgot that I had some left. Well, it was also good as a snack without salad. But, hey, no worries, everyone has to know for themself.


Will we have more plums coming? Who knows! There are other things in season, too. Have a great week then ...

8 comments:

  1. Mm that looks very tasty indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it was very tasty. You could even put other things into the cake like cheese or walnuts or ... I don't know.

      Delete
  2. Savory cakes are our favorites back in France. My grandmother would make 2 every week and they would be over in less then 20 minutes. I have never tried a salami version. So exciting! I am a big salami eater and I can't wait to try your recipe once my mum brings me some Hungarian salami from Austria. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that. So when you have a few more people ready for eating, those cakes are gone in no time. Enjoy it then, when you go and try the recipe.

      Delete
  3. such a pretty cake and a great way to use the last of the plums... so special x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the cake could have taken a few more plums, though. Just a few more.

      Delete
  4. I'm marking this for next summer when I have prunes, er, I mean, plums again.... I have so many I'm always looking for goodies to make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. You might as well want to check out some of my previous posts about plums. You might get some more ideas. I still have to try a few more things myself ...

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.