Friday 20 June 2014

Going French with Rillettes and Fougasse

Some weeks ago I was very much in the mood for cooking some French food and improve my knowledge in that cuisine. Well, apart from the option to look things up on the net, I have a few books on French cooking. One of it is The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo. It's a lovely book and the recipes work excellently. I selected some of them and worked myself through them during a week.
I like to share some of the results with you today as France is also playing Switzerland in the World Cup today. However, I will not share all of them, I need to reserve a bit for later.
Therefore today I like to concentrate on two things: Rillettes au porc and Fougasse aux romarin, avande et from age du chèvre.


 First to the rilletes with pork. If you find the right shop you most probably can by it ready in a jar. However, it's so simple and worth a try. You need pork belly, some bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and some time. It goes into the oven for 3 hours at 130 °C. Afterwards you can easily shred the pork (rind cut off) and jar it up and eat it with some lovely homemade bread and a glass of red wine.
If you care to make a mess in your oven you can throw the cut off rind under the grill and let them get crispy. Great, you get a crispy, fatty snack, hear some crackling sounds from your oven and get the chance to clean your oven.
Guess what I did ...


I just wanted to test some pork cracklings, too.
Anyway, I enjoyed the rillettes most of it together with the fougasse and the red wine.


Sure, you need some time as well to make the fougasse, but hey, it's all so lovely. What I liked about this fougasse version was, that it included lavender and goat's cheese.
You make a yeasty dough with 10 g dried yeast, 400 g flour, salt, dried rosemary, dried lavender and olive oil.
Then, you know, there is some kneading involved, rising, proving and all that lot, yes shaping. Apart from that we need to fit in the goat's cheese. Push pieces of 80 g of firm goat's cheese into the bread before you let it rise for the last time after the shaping.
The bread needs about 20 minutes at 210 °C in the oven. 
The end result is lovely. So, if you want to try it, you either have to try it as it is or have a look at the book or ask for further details.


Now you get also a closer look at the bread. I enjoyed it very much. So, do you like to have a bite?


If you like to have this ready for the football match today, I have to inform you, that you better have to hurry. Otherwise ... you need to have something else.



I add this to our ever increasing collection of posts for the World Cup 2014 and Bloggers Around the World.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no, my comment disappeared.
    Just wanted to say the bread looks fabulous, and so do the rillettes (which I never made, and usually buy in Waitrose)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that happens to me also sometimes. No worries!

      Delete
  2. Délicieux - and perfect for eating in front of the match. They won so you must have brought them luck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! So it happened again. However, I can't keep this up till the end with picking food for the winning team.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.